Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Updates and Fish Tacos.

So yeah, I know, I haven't been updating very much.
But, I started nannying for a six-week old who has decided he does NOT like to sleep whenever I come over, and have come down with some cold-type crud, and have just generally had a lot to do.
So, updates:
I haven't gotten a whole lot done on the house front. I've spray painted a bit, but not nearly as much as I need to. Still on the to do list are:
  • Frame the mirrors in the bathrooms with either clearance tile or pre-finished door casing (or both, one for each bathroom)
  • Spray paint the hallway mirror, lamp in the living room, and mirror above the mantle (either silver or glossy white, I still can't decide)
  • Paint the master bathroom this really neat silvery-blue color
  • Do SOMETHING with the backyard when it warms up a tad more (there is zero landscaping in the back yard. Nothing, zip, nada. I need trees. Flowers are nice, but I would probably kill them anyway, so trees are a must. And, I did buy a crepe myrtle on clearance at Lowe's after Christmas, but I haven't really figured out what to do with it yet)
  • Spray paint the outdoor lanterns (on the garage and entryway) super shiny black
  • Organize the kitchen and garage (both of which I have never done before, so that should be interesting. Upon move in, other people always took it upon themselves to unpack my kitchen, which I was super okay with, and I have never had a garage before. So... I'll probably need help)
  • Finish unpacking. It really bothers me to have boxes in my house. 
 However, I have accomplished some of my goals for the new year. I'm hoping to read a book a week this year. I know this is pretty unrealistic, especially if I get a full time job, but I would still really like to try. At the very least, I'll definitely read more. So far this year, I am on my 7th book. So I am making good headway! I also have been trying new recipes. I tend to kinda stick to what I know and love and what I know will be good, so I'm branching out a little more. We ate this last week, and I have to say, it was pretty awesome. I usually stick to Italian food, since I'm just not a huge fan of Mexican (it's just really not as impressive), and I never thought I would be a fan of fish tacos, since they sound really weird, but these are seriously tasty. It looks kind of complicated, but its super easy.  The whole thing only took 20 minutes, and all I needed to buy from the store was limes.

Zesty Lime Fish Tacos
(Adapted from some recipe I saw on some TV show that I can't remember, but I changed the recipe anyway)

Stuff you need:
     For the Tacos:
            4 Tilapia filets (frozen is great)
            Small tortillas or taco shells
            Black Bean and Corn Salsa**
            Shredded Lettuce
            3 fresh limes or lime juice
            2 cloves garlic
            Olive Oil
            Salt/pepper to taste
            Optional: Fresh chopped chili peppers
     For the Taco Sauce:
            Ready-made salsa (hot is good, trust me)
            Sour cream
            Juice of 1 lime, or 2 tbsp

Stuff You Do:
Juice all 3 limes and combine with chopped garlic, oil, and peppers (if you like them). Pour in a small dish or baggie, season fish to taste, and let fish marinate for 15 minutes (not any longer or the acid will start to cook the fish). Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Allow to cool enough to touch and crumble into bite-size pieces. 
Combine equal parts sour cream and salsa (I use a cup each). Stir in lime juice. Lime juice neutralizes heat, so buy a hotter variety of salsa than you normally would. It will wind up being very mild. Serve cold.
Serve tacos with fish, lettuce, salsa, and taco sauce. Don't blame me if you get super addicted.

**Black Bean and Corn Salsa is my fancy term for stirring together a can of black beans, a can of corn, and a can of Rotel (all drained).
           

1 comment:

  1. those tacos look delish! i am adding them to my {admittedly ridiculously long and mostly full of desserts} list of recipes to try. i hope nannying gets better! and i can't wait to see more house pictures!

    ReplyDelete