Sunday, January 30, 2011

When you have to fake it

So, I don't plan ahead. It's not my thing. I try, and get distracted, and wind up running around at the last minute.
So, when I meant to plan a fancy-ish dinner ahead of time, and didn't, I fake it. I do this:

Marinated Tilapia


You need:
1/2 bottle marinade of choice
4 medium tilapia fillets
Salt and pepper to taste

Prep:
Line fish fillets in a large casserole dish. Pour marinade over fish. Marinade for 10 minutes, flip the fish and spoon over marinade. Marinade another 10 minutes. OR: Place fish in a large Ziploc baggie. Pour in marinade and lay flat. Marinade for 15-20 minutes, shaking the bag half way through. In a medium skillet, cook fish for 3 minutes on each side with any excess marinade (helps the cooking process AND makes a tasty sauce). Flip with a SPATULA (tongs will not work, trust me).

Hints:
HEB makes fabulous bottled marinades that sell for about $1. I'm in love with them, seriously. My favorite is the garlic and herb. If you don't have and HEB handy, you can always substitute Italian style dressing.
Lemon-pepper seasoning salt (which I just happen to have for some reason) is great instead of salt and pepper if you go the Italian route. Soy sauce, dijon mustard, and garlic is a super simple marinade if you don't have any of the aforementioned options.
Sam's Club sells AWESOME tilapia fillets in the frozen section. They're individually packaged and frozen, and have no fillers or preservatives. I ALWAYS have them in the freezer. Mostly so I can get away with never planning anything.


Add your favorite veggies and you have a fantastic meal that tastes fabulous and a lot more complicated than it was.
If you have leftovers, tilapia is fantastic for fish tacos.

1 comment:

  1. don't you just love a meal with a high easiness-to-fanciness ratio? that fish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete