Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pasta Night, Anyone?

Italian food is my favorite of all the foods. Thus, we have pasta night a lot. I'm also not domestic enough to make my own marinara sauce (well, most of the time). Solution?

How to turn bottled spaghetti sauce into Homemade Marinara Sauce:

What you need:
Bottled spaghetti sauce (whatever kind you like)
Parmesan Cheese
Red Wine (dry)
Fresh Garlic
Italian Seasoning
Olive Oil
Pasta

What to do:
Cook pasta per instructions.
While that's cooking: In a small sauce pan, pour a little olive oil over medium-ish heat. Use a garlic press or small grater to add 1 clove of garlic. When your whole kitchen starts to smell awesome, add the wine (about a cup). Add 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning. Simmer and reduce for up to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 the bottle of tomato sauce and cheese (however much you like). Important: If you do not use real cheese (AKA the Kraft stuff), it will not melt. If you don't care, use whatever kind you have. Pour over pasta when cooked. Top with cheese.
Viola!
It doesn't sound like it makes a huge difference; IT DOES.
It turns this:
Into this:

You'll never go back to plain old bottled sauce again. And you can totally say you made it yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I had NO IDEA you had a blog! Fun! I just called Daddy and gave him the email address... so you'll never know what may appear...

    I loved your 2010 summation - I think I need to do that! This sauce sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll definitely have to try this! you've been giving me so many good recipe ideas lately!

    p.s. respond to my fb message, friend. i miss you!

    ReplyDelete