Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Yeah, I baked. No big deal.

So, here is my Valentine's Day post, only about a month late.

For Valentine's Day, we didn't go out for dinner. One, because I started my new job that day, and two, because everyone else does.
How did I pull off a fabulous dinner and dessert while I was at work for six hours?
Magic. And by magic, I mean the crock pot. I made this chicken, also known as the best chicken ever, rosemary roasted potatoes, and french bread. Here it is:
Here is my dog wanting some:
And yes, it was super delicious.

Sidebar: In case you don't know, I don't bake. I can cook just fine, but baking is another beast all together. When I cook, I don't measure and usually don't follow the recipe. Apparently, you can't do that with baking. It doesn't taste good.
So while I love me some baked goods, I have to get them from somewhere else.
However: For dessert, I actually baked something. I know, crazy. I cheated some and used a boxed cake mix, but that's still awesome for me, so hush. I made conversation heart cakes! (Note: I did this the night before. It's a little time consuming. Fun tip: freeze cakes overnight before icing them. It makes them more delicious).
But then I had a bunch of left over cake. So I did something different. And I didn't have to use a recipe. So Ha!
Chocolate-covered Strawberry Cake Truffles



What you need:
1 box strawberry cake mix, plus ingredients to make it
1 can vanilla prepared frosting
Chocolate chips
White chocolate chips
Sprinkles

What you do:
Make cake as directed. When cooled, crumble into a large mixing bowl. Fold in icing. Yes, the whole can. Freeze for 1 hour. Roll into small, bite-sized balls and place on a baking sheet covered in wax paper. Melt chocolate in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring until smooth. Dip cake balls into chocolate and decorate with sprinkles. OR: put melted chocolate into a piping bag and drizzle over cake. Let harden and enjoy!

And enjoy you will. Because they are seriously good.

Coming up soon:
Learn how to make these puppies:

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good little homemaker! I am seriously impressed. I definitely want to try the cake truffles. I've heard you can make them with Oreos instead of cake too. Yum!

    That hair clip is adorable - please share your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete