Monday, November 2, 2009

Articulation

I have decided that singers no longer know how to articulate. I find that this is a pretty important skill. Otherwise, it slightly changes the meanings of your songs.
That, or I just can't hear.
Examples:

1. "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga
Real lyrics: "Can't read my, Can't read my, No he can't read-a my poker face!"

I heard: "Kill me now! Kill me now! Why won't you just kill me, in my face??"
Meaning: Changed.
(disclaimer: I was very, very tired at the time).

2. "I Try to Say Goodbye" by Macy Gray
Real lyrics: "I try to say good-bye and I choke
I try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not near"

I heard: "... I blow bubbles when you are not here."
Meaning: Changed.

3. "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks
Real Lyrics: "I'm not big on social graces..."

I heard: "I'm not big on saucy dresses..."
Meaning: Changed

4. "Love Drunk" by Boys Like Girls
Real lyrics: "I used to be love drunk, but now I'm hungover. I love you forever, but now it's over!"

I heard: "I used to be love drunk, but now I'm hung over, I had you for Breakfast, and now it's over!"
Meaning: Changed. Although, to be fair, cannibalism is among one of the effective ways to end a relationship. It does still change the whole tone of the song though.

1 comment: